Question of the day: Bikes on roads

So now that summer officially has begun for a couple weeks now most of my traveling has been via bike. Being right by the university makes it easy and means that my commute is seven minutes verses half an hour. This morning while biking over to my friends house I passed several other bikers who yelled at me to get on the sidewalk. I always bike on the road as I feel that once you reach the age of 18 bikers are expected to bike one the road. Ive biked along very busy roads with traffic wizzing past me with never a complaint or honk of protest. Yes its more dangerous but im not in the mood to dip and doodle around people on the sidewalk.

What do you think, should bikers be on the side of the road or on the side walk?

9 comments:

Athanasian Complexio said...

I bike all the time and I think it's better to be on the sidewalk. It's a huge safety issue not only to yourself, but to the driver. Driver hits you, you're fucked, then they got to pay for insurance fees, possible jail time and jail fees, possible car damages...

However, sometimes you HAVE to ride your bike on the road, but that's a different story.

Carm said...

In my neighborhood there are no sidewalks. Yet when I bike people still honk and yell at me. It's as if they run into me, they're the ones that are going to die.

ScottD said...

side walk with their helmets on. lol

Alpha said...

I think it depends on the scenario.

Potholderz said...

I think as long as the biker stays close to the curb, to allow traffic to pass them easily, then i see no problem with bikers riding in the street.

Unknown said...

Today's question pretty hard. I think bike should be on the road. car or anything should beware with the bike, so u must wear bright suit. If side walk, it will be dangerous. I suggest that u must go for your gov to draw bike line on the road.

Anthony said...

It depends... if I'm on a busy street and a sidewalk is available, I'll ride on the sidewalk for safety reasons. However, there are some neighborhoods that lack sidewalks in which case I have no choice but to ride on the street. I just stay as close to the curb or edge of the pavement as possible

Lt Nite said...

Hard to say, I'll be honest when I'm driving and I see a biker on the road, I get like nervous and feel like their in my way, but if they're on a sidewalk they could be in the way of people walking. I say let them be on the street it's better for everyone.

Nom de Plume said...

Cyclists should be on the road. And drivers should respect that. And cyclists on the pavement should be clotheslined!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...