I Just watched...310 to Yuma

One of my all time favorite underrated movies is 310 To Yuma, staring Christian Bale and Russel Crowe as a respectable farmer and a wanted outlaw. 310 to Yuma is about the classic age of the lawless wild west, and when it came on last night on History Channel I had to pause my editing for a couple hours and settle into a great movie. Although I’ve already seen the movie and have already praised how much I love it I’m still going to review it and I guess your still going to read it because why else are you here? To hear me talk about my stock portfolio? I think not… so find out after the break what I really think.


Although this film is based on fiction everything else is real. They spent a lot of time researching costumes, sets and props to the point that it feels like your in the 1980s, in the west taking shots daily and living only on your whit’s edge. I like this movie, it shows in a un-sugar coated way how fucken hard being a pioneer was back then; with constant outlaws corrupt officials and the barren landscape fighting you every inch of your land. I don’t think I could do it and I don’t think I would survive long out when the only one I can depend on is myself.

As with every other film he’s in, Christian Bale performs as admiralty as he does in every other film he’s in, however this time he is not a stand out actor. Surprisingly the supporting cast is just as dedicated as he is and truly is the epitome of an outstanding ensemble cast. Currently im sitting in a Tim Hortons without wifi (what kind of national coffee chain does not have wifi incorporated in every location? Starbucks has had it for 20 years now… I think its time for everyone else to catch up.) So I cant say what kind of awards it received but I’m pretty sure that It was mostly overlooked by the festival circuit and I’m pretty sure it didn’t do too well during awards season either.

Me and a couple of my friends a couple days ago had a long discussion on the difference between a film and a movie. Movies are cookie cutter productions let loose by studios to make money by appealing to the general population like Toy Story 3 or Big Moma’s House, while films are artistic in nature and don’t try to please the average consumer like 127 Hours or Buried. When it gets really interesting is when these two worlds collide with examples like The Social Network and Inception, productions that apply to both camps but if you label them as either someone always gets pissy. Im not sure what to call 310 to Yuma as I feel it could run either route but what I am sure is that I thoroughly enjoyed it and that I think everyone should have a western afternoon and give it a watch.


Theater: No
Download: Yes
Stream: No
Buy: Yes
Pass: Yes
7.5/10

15 comments:

Charles said...

its a great movie

Jessica said...

I've never seen it...but Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors so I'll have to check it out

Unknown said...

hmmm..have that one. Might have to watch it now

Burger said...

I love this movie.

Tasos said...

I don't think there is a great difference between a film and a movie... although I always go for the word 'film'

Nate said...

LOVE the old westerns, the shots of the landscape are always really beautiful.

husar said...

good post, I will watch it

+ followed:)

Anonymous said...

love this movie, i also own the original.

Alexander said...

Loved that movie, keep me watching the whole time (which is hard for me) and Russel Crowe did an amazing job

Adam said...

Yeah, I liked this movie a lot too. I'm a big fan of Western's in general, but good ones don't get made that often anymore.

Justsayin' said...

This is a very good movie.

Unknown said...

Agreed on the underrated, I loved this movie!

Eric P said...

I saw this on TV at the weekend, but I didn't get a chance to finish it. Definitely gonna find it and watch the rest now! Thanks for the review.

ScottD said...

very good flick

Robert Fünf said...

I never got around to seeing this one. I need to look it up.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...